What is Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB)?

Examples of ASB include (but are not limited to): 

  • Violence or threats of violence to others
  • Abusive or insulting words or behaviour
  • Offensive behaviour under the influence of drugs or alcohol
  • Damage or threat of damage to property including graffiti
  • Intimidation and harassment including the targeting of groups because of their perceived differences
  • Harassment and hate crime
  • Domestic abuse 
  • Using or selling drugs or other illegal substances
  • Use of the property for unlawful purposes
  • Making an unreasonable level of noise. This includes excessive shouting, intentionally slamming doors, excessive use of tools or machinery or playing music, radio, television, or other sound making equipment at unreasonable levels
  • Allowing pets to make excessive noise, fouling in public areas, or to be a danger to others
  • Excessive build-up of rubbish or dangerous or polluting materials
  • Hoarding

Your tenancy agreement – the legal contract between us, your landlord and you, the tenant – makes it clear that you are responsible for the behaviour of all people, including children and visitors to your home. 

What is not ASB?

ASB is not:

  • Children playing (in public or private spaces)
  • People gathering socially
  • DIY and car repairs (unless undertaken repeatedly and at unsocial hours)
  • Civil disputes between neighbours (including shared driveways, CCTV usage and coverage and boundary issues)
  • One off complaints such as parties
  • Everyday household activities and/or noise. For example, reasonable use of household appliances, noise from footsteps from general moving around within the property
Reporting a crime in my community

In an emergency always call the police on 999.

If it is not urgent call the police on 101. To give information about criminal activities without giving your name you can call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or report it via their website by clicking here.

After you have reported the crime to the police you can report the criminal activity to our ASB Team. We cannot prosecute crimes but work with the police to make communities safer and may be able to take tenancy enforcement action.

Once you have a crime reference number, complete our ASB Reporting Form by clicking here.

What action can we take? 

We will try a number of options before taking legal action. These might include: 

  • Early intervention by contact, giving advice, and signposting as necessary
  • Warning letters and interviews
  • Referrals to other agencies (for example, local council environmental services and support services)
  • Mediation/dispute resolution

Using mediation at an early stage can often prevent the problem getting worse. Mediation is usually the best option in most cases, and we actively promote it among our tenants. Mediation does not have to take place in person. Sometimes, even when a nuisance has been going on for some time, mediation can still work to help someone realise they are causing a problem and stop it.

Mediation can occur between two parties who have an issue they cannot resolve, or larger numbers, such as entire communities who may need help to find a way to agree to all live together. The outcomes can change lives, allowing people to feel comfortable again in their own homes and gardens.

If we are unable to resolve the ASB case and the problem persists we could proceed with further action which could include legal action, and your tenancy could be at risk. 

What action you could take

If it is safe to do so, have you considered talking to the person? They may not know they are upsetting you. Often you can sort out personal disagreements and everyday problems just by talking them over. When you do talk to the person it is helpful to remember to:

  • Be calm and friendly and show you are happy to hear their point of view
  • Listen to what they have to say and do not interrupt
  • Do not shout, be abusive or aggressive
  • Politely walk away if you feel the person is becoming unreasonable or you become uncomfortable
  • Make a record of your conversation to provide to us
  • Keep a record of any incident using our home diary sheet, which you can find at the bottom of the page.
What support we will give you

If we take legal action, we may need you to make a formal statement describing the ASB.  

Complainants may also be asked to attend court proceedings for us to prove a case against the alleged perpetrator. We will support complainants if they are required to attend court to give evidence, and an appropriate member of staff will accompany them. 

We will keep witnesses up to date on any progress in their case and the legal processes involved. Support to witnesses may include: 

  • Referral to specialist witness support groups
  • Regular contact from Neighbourhood Officers
  • Signposting tenants to your local authority for emergency temporary accommodation

To help our tenants we have a Tenant Support & Wellbeing Service. It is a free, independent service, giving tenants 24/7 access to professional and confidential telephone counselling, advice and support. Please click here for more information.

If you need help after a crime you can contact Victim Support anytime for free confidential advice by clicking here.

Reporting ASB

If you are subject to, or witness ASB, call us on 01508 532000.

Call  999 if you or someone else is in immediate danger. 

You can report ASB to us using a form by clicking here.

Sometimes, it will be more appropriate to make a complaint to another organisation. This includes the police where it is an emergency or where a criminal act has taken place, or the local council’s environmental health teams where there is a serious noise nuisance. In these cases we will liaise with the agencies involved and discuss options to try and solve the problem. 

Community Trigger (ASB) Case Review

If you have reported ASB but feel that no action has been taken you can start a Community Trigger (ASB) case review. 

A Community Trigger is a formal ASB case review process where organisations identify if any further action can be taken. At the end of the review an action plan will be produced and shared with the Community Trigger applicant. 

A Community Trigger does not guarantee the ASB will be resolved. But it does ensure that all appropriate actions are being taken to address it. 

To activate the Community Trigger through your local authority, set criteria must be met. Information regarding the criteria and application process can found at:  

Police High Vis Jackets

Report Anti-Social Behaviour

If you or someone else is in immediate danger please call  999.  To report ASB to us you can use the below form or call 01508 532000.

ASB report form

Useful documents

Print at Home Diary Sheets

docx - 39Kb

If you need the above information in a different format such as an accessible PDF or braille, email info@saffronhousing.co.uk or call 01508 532000.

We also offer INTRAN, which provides interpreting and translation services for people who are deaf, hard of hearing or who do not have English as a first language. To arrange support with INTRAN please contact a member of the Customer Contact Team on 01508 532000 or at info@saffronhousing.co.uk. Find out more by clicking here.