A list of fees is available in our booklet found at the bottom of the page, so you can view the cost of a request in advance. The fees are set at a reasonable level to cover the work involved in processing each request.
In some instances, you may be required to pay additional costs; for example, our legal costs where legal support is required to carry out due process.
Homeownership admin fees are payable at the point of application. We will not be able to progress with your request without this fee being paid.
Staircasing is when you buy additional shares in your home. Usually, you can staircase up to 100% and own your home outright.
Some Shared Ownership leases have a clause which means you cannot staircase to 100%. This will have been clearly explained before you bought your home.
If you have an Older Persons Shared Ownership lease, the maximum you can staircase to would be 75%. However you would not pay rent on the remaining 25% once you have reached this equity level.
There is no obligation to staircase, you can stick with the original share level you first bought. If you do decide you would like to staircase, you can do it gradually over time or staircase straight to the maximum your lease allows.
To find out more information read our step by step guide to staircasing at the bottom of the page or contact our Homeownership Team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 01508 502339.
As a shared owner, you can choose to sell the share in your home at any time. The process of selling your share to another person, is known as a resale.
To find out more information read our Resales Guide at the bottom of the page.
If you bought your flat through Right to Buy/Right to Acquire, you will no longer be a tenant, you will be a leaseholder.
What is the difference between Leasehold and Freehold?
Leasehold – you own the property for a set period but not the land it is built on.
- Is a legal agreement between you and us (as the freeholder and landlord).
- Will outline the length of time it has been granted for.
- Will outline your responsibilities as the leaseholder to repair and maintain the interior of your flat, or as defined by your lease.
As a leaseholder, you will be responsible for informing us if you are intending to sell or sublet your leasehold flat.
Freehold – we own the property and the land it is built on.
Generally, we (as the freeholder) remain responsible for the maintenance of the structure, the communal areas of the block and the estate. Under the terms of your lease, you will be required to pay a service charge which goes towards the cost of maintenance and upkeep of the items listed in your annual service charge letter. In addition to service charge payments, you may be required to contribute to major works that exceed £250 or Qualifying Long Term Agreements that exceed £100. However, we would speak with you before these charges are put in place in line with Section 20 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985.
Before making any alterations to your home or carrying out any activities, you will need to check the conditions set out within your lease.
If the alteration or permission is not outlined with your lease or requires written consent, please send full details of the proposed works or activity, along with any supporting evidence to email@example.com (Charges may apply for the permission request as outlined in the Homeownership Fees booklet found at the bottom of the page.)
For any enquiries that may affect a Saffron property, please send full details of your request to firstname.lastname@example.org including any supporting evidence so that your request can be reviewed. (Charges may apply for this as outlined in the Homeownership fees booklet found at the bottom of the page.)