We are building on our partnership with Your Own Place by offering financial support sessions in the community.
The local social enterprise are based in foodbanks in Diss and Harleston twice a month developing relationships with tenants and residents. They will be able to have a chat with the Your Own Place team to find out what support can be offered including workshops, one-to-ones and shorter 'financial conversations' to help tenants build on their financial skills.
These sessions are a mixture of drop-in discussions whereby one-to-one chats can be arranged, and dedicated Cost of Living sessions.
Covered topics are:
- Budgeting and saving
- Managing and understanding debt
- Benefits and Cost of Living support
- Understanding and saving on bills
Tenants can also get support with short online forms, applying for travel passes, signposting to local organisations or addressing any money-related concerns or questions.
During a recent session, Your Own Place spoke to a Saffron tenant who had concerns about her energy bills. With the support of Your Own Place, the tenant contacted their energy provider and discussed the different rates available, eventually securing a better deal.
She said: “I was very pleased with what we achieved. I was also grateful for helping me over the phone. I was so pleased to get a cheaper tariff. It has made me more aware.”
Upcoming sessions will be held on the following dates at the following venues:
Hope Church, Diss
- Monday 7 August, 10am - 11.30am
- Friday 11 August, 10.45am – 12pm
- Friday 11 August, 1pm - 3pm * Cost of Living session
- Friday 25 August, 10.45am – 12pm
- Friday 15 September, 1pm - 3pm * Cost of Living session
- Monday 18 September, 10am - 11.30am
St. John's Church, Harleston – all sessions will run from 1.30pm – 3pm
- Tuesday 15 August *Cost of Living session
- Tuesday 5 September *Cost of Living session
- Tuesday 19 September
You can read more about Your Own Place's work on their website by clicking here.