Exchanging your Home
‘House exchange’ provides a free service for Saffron tenants who are thinking of exchanging their home. You can also look for an exchange by advertising on public notice boards, in newsagents or in local newspapers.
We can consider applications from tenants who wish to mutually exchange their accommodation with:
– another tenant of Saffron housing
– a tenant of a local authority
– a tenant of another housing association
You can register for an exchange on http://www.houseexchange.org.uk/
Please contact us on 01508 532000 if you need help to register or if you don’t have access to the internet.
What do I do if I have found someone to exchange with?
When you have found a person to exchange with, you should complete the mutual exchange application form and return it to us (contact us on 01508 53200 to request a form or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org). We will then arrange for an inspector to visit your home to check that it is in a reasonable condition. Your tenancy details and rent account will be also checked. Please note that you will only be allowed to exchange if your account is up to date.
When considering exchange applications, we are required to make a decision on whether to approve or refuse the exchange within 42 days of receiving all the application forms.
We will not normally refuse an application for an exchange unless:
– Either tenant is under Notice of Seeking Possession, or legal proceedings have begun
– Either property is specifically designed to help a disabled person or has other special features and the new tenant does not need this assistance
– Either property is too large (usually this means you can move to a property with no more than one spare bedroom) or too small for either household
– The incoming tenant would conflict with our charitable objectives, e.g. income too high
There are some other additional reasons why an exchange of accommodation may not be possible and if you would like more advice about a specific swap please contact us.
You can only exchange your home after you have received our written permission. After obtaining permission you will need to complete a ‘Deed of Assignment’ to legally exchange your tenancy. If you move without our permission, you will be breaching your tenancy agreement and we can take possession proceedings against you and/or the person who moves into your home.
If you have found an exchange and received our permission, you must ensure that when you move:
– you do not remove any fixtures or fittings without ensuring that a suitable replacement is fitted
– you do not damage the property in any way
– your property is left clean and tidy with all rubbish removed from gardens or outbuildings
Please note -You will be accepting the property you are moving into in its current condition.
For example, we will not accept responsibility for any damage caused in the process of moving, or for removing any rubbish left by the outgoing tenant. You should also be careful to note any poor DIY work. It will be for you, not Saffron, to correct this work, and it will be treated as though you had done the work yourself.
We will of course carry out any essential repairs to your new home. But we will not carry out non-essential repairs needed because of damage by previous tenants or you, such as broken kitchen cupboard doors at the time of inspection.
Please find the application form below for you to print off.